How to Apply
Expression of Interest
The Museum of Art and Culture welcomes expressions of interest from artists, individuals and groups seeking an exhibition, or proposing ideas for an exhibition for the program.
The gallery aims to provide a high quality and balanced program. A large number of applications are received, all of which cannot be accommodated. However, the Gallery Exhibitions Committee selects exhibitions that meet at least three, or more, of the following criteria:
- be of high quality and appropriate for gallery presentation;
- have a sound curatorial rationale and involve research;
- involve innovative themes or artwork;
- acknowledge cultural diversity in the region;
- contribute to research and interpretation of the Gallery’s collection;
- increase public awareness of the visual arts through potential in the educational and/or interpretive areas;
- contribute to cultural tourism in the region;
- contribute to developing and/or strengthening the cultural infrastructure of the region;
- fit within the OH&S and risk management systems of the Gallery;
- be appropriate to the gallery space; and
- thematically or materially link with any programmed concurrent exhibition/s.
In addition, the Gallery’s program is designed to ensure a balance over any two-year period by including and range of:
- visual arts media;
- themes and issues relevant and topical to various section of the community;
- styles (eg. innovative, contemporary, traditional, abstract, representational);
- culturally diverse artists and themes;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art;
- exhibitions from local, national and international sources.
A formal Expression of Interest must include the following information:
- A clear rationale for the proposed exhibition no shorter than 200 words;
- A list of all artists and any other individuals and groups to be involved in the exhibition;
- A brief CV for each person involved in the exhibition.
- A selection of digital or hard copy images of the work to be exhibited. If the work to be exhibited is not yet complete a selection of images representative of the artist(s) practice should be included. Maximum number of images: 20 per group exhibition proposal, 10 per individual exhibition proposal. (All images will be returned at the Gallery’s expense.)
- The preferred format for viewing images is digitally - either via a CD or sent to us through our email. (You must make prior arrangements with the appropriate staff member prior to sending an application via email.
- Submitted images must be a selection from all artists involved in the proposed exhibition and must be relatively current.
- Your application must include the following information for each image:
- Medium (i.e. painting, installation, photography
- Media (i.e. materials – acrylic on canvas)
- Size (height x width x depth)
The Exhibition Committee meets at least twice per year (March and September). The Exhibition Committee’s decision is final and will be communicated in writing within seven (7) days of the committee meeting.
Expressions of Interest should be sent to:
Lake Macquarie Museum of Art and Culture Exhibitions Committee
Hunter Region Mail Centre
Image: Artists from the Creator Incubator were featured in the exhibition 'Headquarters'. The Museum of Art and Culture is committed to supporting Hunter-based artists.